1. Develop a planting plan for a new vegetable garden and include a bed of cutting flowers.
2. Make a list of the plants you love, lack and want to have in your gardens.
3. Design an experiment area for combining with ornamental grasses and drought tolerant perennials.
4. Review the Latin names of your plants.
5. Find a brightly colored tool belt to carry hand tools about while working in the garden.
6. Study the seed catalogues. Try starting plants from seed. Or better yet – try growing plants from the saved seeds of last year’s favorites.
7. Put in your order for seeds and hard to find plants and trees now, before the best items are sold out. (At the top of my list: Cercis canadensis ‘Alba’.)
8. Designate one area of the property as a bird sanctuary and plant accordingly.